Saturday, June 4, 2011

Music

Music. It allegedly has charms to soothe the savage breast (not beast, Google it). We all have our favorites; Mozart, Benny Goodman, Dion and the Belmonts, The Beatles. Maybe even some of the new stuff. Music that is now listened to on satellite radio or iPods. It all has its place in our minds and some even in our hearts. Songs that when listened to can take us back. Back to a time or place, a special memory. Maybe even a bad one.
I can’t listen to Satisfaction by the Stones without thinking of summer nights cruising Twain Harte in Dan & Charlie Bennetts’ purple ’61 Chevy. Nor can I listen to Marvin Gaye’s soulful “Heard it Through the Grapevine” without recalling a college party where my buddy Ed Garcia and I were the only non Blacks in attendance. Power to the people, bro.
Music is never has the same effect to multiple generations. What my parents thought was just a bunch of undecipherable screaming, was helping me define myself and my generation. Now, I think most of today’s crap is, well, just crap. With a few notable exceptions. Very few. And I’m pretty sure that my son will feel the same about the next generation’s music. It’s inevitable. A parental duty.
It’s amazing how sometimes I can’t remember why I went into the kitchen and yet sing the complete lyrics to some song from the 60’s or maybe even the 50’s. “Well, you load sixteen tons and what do you get?” The lyrics just come out of some corner in my brain. Oh yeah, went to the kitchen to get some trail mix to munch on. I think. Yeah, that’s it.
While self employed I was fortunate enough to be able to play music while I worked. Oldies, of course. But in deference to my helpers, I would sometimes let them play Mexican music. Corridas and Norteno, with its distinctive oompa style. I loved the voices of the Mariachis harmonizing. Some of those oldies sometimes still remind me of my Dad and almost bring a tear to my eyes. If I weren’t so Macho, that is.
Maybe we could settle our differences by enjoying our mutual love of music. Maybe President Obama could meet with world leaders and over some music leave the room with an agreed upon plan for world peace. Well, Ok, no point getting crazy over it.
In the meantime, kick back, relax and listen to whatever makes you happy. Makes you one with yourself. Maybe even have a glass of wine while you’re at it. The dishes, laundry, oil change and those other errands will still be there. Here’s to you Mrs. Robinson (wherever you are).

1 comment:

  1. I feel the same way about songs "from my youth" - they so often take me back to a special memory , or even to a place back in time. I truly think that I could do without a LOT of things, but if I had no music in my life, I might not make it through! And - this is an odd thought, I know, but I was thinking once about how anybody could manage solitary confinement if they were imprisoned? I don't know if they also force you to remain quiet - but I think I would stay sane by singing to myself! I have more song lyrics in my head than probably ANYTHING else - if truth be told - so I'd have quite a repertoire to choose from!
    I really enjoyed this post, Jose.

    ReplyDelete