Monday, June 20, 2011

Calories

Went out for dinner the other day. Nothing fancy, just some fast food Chinese joint. While looking at the menu above the counter, I noticed some numbers next to the various food items. At first, they appeared to be prices, but a closer look revealed them to be calories. What in the world!? Why would I want that information?
Don’t we assume a certain level of responsibility when we venture into any restaurant, nutrition-wise? Especially fast food joints? When was I supposed to start caring about the number of calories in chow mien, pot stickers or even a Big Mac? I already know there are probably enough calories in any combo meal at any fast food joint to feed half of the starving people in Africa. Who doesn’t?
It’s just another attempt to avoid taking responsibility for our own actions. I fell off the ladder, not because I was foolish enough to climb to the very top step, lean over and lose my balance. It was because the manufacturer didn’t tell me not to be stupid. I gained 100 pounds not because I ate every meal at a fast food joint, but because they kept it secret how many calories I was eating. It’s their entire fault. Damn corporations.
Obesity is an ever constant problem and continues to grow (pun intended). We have a generation that was raised on fast food and soft drinks. Of course, we as a society must assign blame to someone. But it can’t be the kids and god forbid we should look to the parents. It’s the restaurant’s fault. Had they only informed us of the calories we consume, we would have made better choices. Oh, and exercised more. Honest.
So I ordered my Chinese grub. It was yummy, as usual. But I couldn’t help adding up the calories that I was consuming. Couldn’t shake the guilt of making a pig of myself while others are starving. The Karmic numbers just didn’t add up. Or maybe they did.

No comments:

Post a Comment