Thursday, June 9, 2011

Lists

Almost stopped cringing every time I hear or read the phrase “Bucket List”. The movie, from which it originated, was pretty silly, or at least I think it was since I was only able to suffer through about twenty minutes of its utter nonsense. But, not surprisingly, we’ve adopted the term and even less surprising, we have run it into the ground. Some people will say anything to be hip.
A list of things to do before we die, or kick the bucket. How very noble. But isn’t any list we make, including chores, work duties or even a grocery list supposed to be done before we die? Is there some other plane of existence in which these tasks can be completed? Maybe you’ve figured out a way to do any of those things after you’ve died. If so, please let me know. I’ll add it to my cosmic list of things to be done.
So is this Bucket List something I’m supposed to actually write on a piece of paper, or save as a file on my computer? As an old retired fart, the thought of any list of things to be done is too much of a reminder of my working days. That big pad sitting on my desk emblazoned with TO DO at the top and a bunch of lines on the page filled with crap I had to do to keep my job. Yikes! Makes my stomach start to knot up just writing about it.
Then of course, what happens when I kick off and my list still has unchecked items on it? Do friends and relatives stand around tsk, tsking over my lack of commitment, organizational and time management skills? Kind of like a post mortem job review? Will they be given an opportunity to fill out a performance review and slip it into my coffin as a final evaluation? CC: God.
There are certain things that I’ve wanted to do in my life, but now realize the chances are real slim. Climbing Mount Everest is aptly at the top. Running a marathon. Not walking part way, but running, or in my case, plodding the whole 26.2 miles. A blown out knee took care of that. But there are things that I have done. I witnessed the birth of my son. Running with the bulls in Pamplona and as an added benefit, with my son. There are many others, some long forgotten, some as vivid as the day they were accomplished. But none were on any physical list.
We all have dreams of going places and doing things but to add them to a list is to diminish their value. To be lost among the so many other lists we have for our lives. To add to the pressures we face. To add to those self perceived shortcomings. The best place for your life’s To Do list is in your heart. Now go check some off.

No comments:

Post a Comment