Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Cell Phones

Used to be that owning a cell phone held a certain status. Of course, that was when they first came out and were called car phones. Mostly because that’s where most of them were. But even when the first portable phones came out, the size of shoe box, to own one set you apart.
I remember when someone would get a call in a public place, especially a restaurant; they would politely walk outside to continue their conversation. Out of courtesy and respect for others. That’s what I thought until my buddy Steve suggested that maybe they were really going outside for better reception. Steve has always had a way of showing me another perspective. But I like my version much better.
Then cell phones were no longer car phones having gotten smaller, pocket sized. And cheaper as well. But not so cheap that everyone had one. But still, there was a certain protocol in talking to someone in public. Hushed tones, going outside, or some convenient corner; or better yet, asking if you could call them back later. Yikes, what a concept.
I’ve owned my share of cell phones, from the Motorola Razor to a HP handheld computer that was jarred loose on a bicycle ride and run over by a passing motorist. Even had one so compact that it was “loosing small.” It had a tiny joy stick to maneuver through the menu. That one lasted about three months before I got a more manly replacement.
These days almost everyone has a cell phone. Even saw a homeless guy pushing his shopping cart while talking on a cell phone, dog in tow. Lots of people that seemingly have no transportation except maybe a bicycle and no visible means of support, have a cell phone. Unfortunately the glut of cell phones has brought along a glut of poor manners.
The other day while sipping my Starbucks (yeah, I know) some guy, possibly the manager, came from around the counter talking on his cell phone in the requisite loud voice. Bad enough, but he then proceeded to pace next to my table. I looked at him and said “hey, Dude, take it outside, we don’t need to hear your conversation.” He apologized and walked outside.
It’s amazing how people think that their conversation is so important that we should all hear it. For crying out loud, show some respect and either leave your precious phone in the car, or just walk outside. And no, it doesn’t matter if it’s raining. Don’t be that person. Do your friends and family proud.

No comments:

Post a Comment