Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Out With the Old

I don’t consider myself a pack rat, much less a hoarder. OK, I still do keep scraps of wood leftover from jobs and/or projects from around the house. And there are a few tools from my career as a Handyman that have been tough for me to get rid of. But at least I can get both my vehicles in the garage. And still have plenty of room to walk around. Well, maybe the fact that we have a three car garage might help.
We’ll be having community wide garage sale next month and the wife and I have already started gathering stuff to get sell. You know the stuff I’m talking about. The clothes that haven’t been worn since Clinton was in office; the “had to have” pasta maker and all those CD’s that are now on my iPod. Outta here. See ya later. Hope they find a nice home.
Then there’s the stuff that was put where I could find it when I needed it. Then that spot was quickly forgotten which meant a trip to Home Depot (usually) for a replacement. Then, as usually happens, the lost item pops up. Well, that stuff in now in the Garage Sale box.
Of course, some stuff is hard to get rid of. When we moved to our current home, we decided to sell some of our antiques. Things that looked good and were good ideas at the time, but we just don’t use. But, we thought maybe a phone call to our son David might be appropriate. Give him first refusal privileges. How did that turn out? Well, turns out, he wants us to keep all the pieces. Somehow, each and every one holds special memories for him. Sheesh.
But we’re forging ahead with other stuff and adding to it on a regular basis. Just this morning I walked out the side door of the garage and accidently bumped some deep sea fishing rods, which by the way, haven’t been used in at least a dozen years. But it’s more stuff David wants. Anyway, that bump caused the poles to fall over, hitting the metal detector which then hit some long clamps, which fell to the floor. Oh, that’s where those clamps are.
We do have a different philosophy when it comes to yard sales, though. Everything is priced cheap. Old shovel, a buck. CD’s, a buck. Clothes, twenty five cents each or all you can carry for a buck. My thinking is that I’d rather have some money, no matter the amount, in my pocket rather than haul that stuff back into my garage. It’s a win/win situation.
Oh, oh, gotta get going, the wife is starting to go through some of my drawers and boxes. Can’t let her do that. That’s all the good junk.

No comments:

Post a Comment