Saturday, June 5, 2010

Volunteering again

Volunteered for the Ronald McDonald House walk today. I didn’t do any walking, but was supposed to hand out water to the heartier souls. To those braving the sun and heat while raising money for an admirable cause. That’s what was supposed to happen.
As is usually the case with volunteer driven events, it was chaotic. I found my leader, Julie and then we took off in search of finding our respective spots. She was walking, but the task at hand was to find my spot. I let her do the talking as I had already started a pretty good sweat and the heat was already starting to wear on me. She spoke with one volunteer diligently guarding the entrance who directed us to a person seemingly in charge who promptly proceeded to tell us that they already had enough people to hand out water. Well, OK.
She looked a little at a loss as what to do with me, and I quickly suggested that I could just go home. No big deal. She actually looked like that might be a viable option. Then she got on her walkie talkie and made the announcement that she had a volunteer and asked if anyone was in need. She pointed to another in charge person that was waving her hand in the air. She told me to go see her. Geez, and to think that I was that close to just going home. Said goodbye to Julie and off I went.
Introductions were made and she asked how I felt about trash. I contribute daily, I thought, but instead replied that whatever she needed me to do was fine. First we went to the sign up table and a yellow ID band was placed on my wrist. It evoked the powerful words of Jesse Jackson: “I am somebody”. Then she turned to two young volunteers and told them they were to help me with the trash duties and that we should follow her.
When we got to the appointed spot, we both turned around and quickly realized that it was just the two of us. She told me to go back and tell those two young uns that she said they are on trash duty. Well, all of us parents know how that went. I’ll just say I wound up pulling out trash bags from cans and replacing them with new ones with two other adult volunteers. Of course the irony that they had what looked like possibly the only adult male volunteer that is Mexican doing trash patrol didn’t escape me. Guess the lawns didn’t need trimming.
But honestly, it didn’t matter to me, it was brainless work that included lots of sitting in the shade watching people getting free McDonald’s coffee drinks and bagels and other snacks. It was perfect as I’m such an avid people watcher. Plus it got me into the VIP area which is always of interest. Even at charitable events there’s a pecking order. Usually in direct correlation to the money contributed. But with us trash guys, we have access to almost all areas. Walking into the VIP area empty trash bag in hand reminded me of when I actually worked for a trash company. Using the old, “I’m with the trash company” routine, I was given access to the streets around OJ’s house when the LAPD closed them to non residents due to so many gawkers.
I actually had a good time and it was for a very good cause, so it was a win-win. I was happy to help. Plus I’ll be better prepared next time. Hope the organizers are as well.

2 comments:

  1. You're a good guy for helping out and not complaining, Jose - but I already knew that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. About the organizers, I hope so...The best time I ever has as a volunteer was selling beer to good looking men for the cancer society. My husband put a stop to that, but it was fun while it lasted, and for a good cause...you're a good man, Jose-how 'bout a beer?

    ReplyDelete