Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Oil and Us

The BP oil spill in the gulf has sure turned out to be a disaster. Of course it’s brought out all the self righteous and convenient environmentalists. The same people that are shaking their heads and pointing fingers while driving their cars around town.
We all share in the blame. Our incessant and increased dependency for oil in its many forms has gotten us to where we are today. I accept my share of the blame. Proudly. I’ve listened to others just as proudly attest to their part in the fight against big oil. Some have even said that they’ve written their elected officials. Really? Do they mean the same people that we all criticize and call names? The same people we hate and whom we say ignore us and aren’t doing their jobs? So, let’s see. We, all of us, got ourselves into this mess and the solution is to ask for help from the people we accuse of being inept? Hmm, well good luck with that.
Passing the buck is a fine American tradition. It’s sure beats actually doing something such as giving up your cars, motorcycles, boats, RV’s and anything else that uses oil in any form. I don’t even bother passing the buck, so you’re one up on me. But at least I’m honest in my lack of efforts, as disturbing as that might be. I have two vehicles, none of which is known for good gas mileage. Give either one up? Talk to me when gas is $20 a gallon.
So what, you might rightly ask, is my solution? I don’t have one. No wait, I do. Let the next generation take care of it. Yeah, that’s the ticket. Remember when as a kid you broke something, you would take it to your parents cradling it in both hands and offering it up? You would have that lower lip sticking out, eyes tearing up a little and tell them you broke it and could they fix it. Pretty please? In a reversal of roles, that’s what us old farts can do. Hand the world to our children. What the hell, it’s their turn to help us out, isn’t it?
I don’t recycle. Just as with the oil problem, I rely on others to do that for me. Just as I prefer to leave driving those sissy hybrid cars to, um, others as well. If you want to save the planet for following generations, I applaud and encourage you. Why, I’ll even send you good vibes as I sit here typing on my laptop in my office while my iPod plays oldies and the TV playing in the living room. I raise a plastic glass of beer in your honor. Good work. Keep it up.
It’s not that I don’t believe in recycling, it’s just too big a hassle for me. For me. Maybe not for you, but for me. So next time you drive to the recycle center to redeem those cans and bottles, pat yourself on the back for me. And forget about the irony that we use even more oil driving to that center. Tell you what, if it makes you feel any better, go ahead and use me as an example to your friends and relatives. You know, “I know this guy that refuses to do his share to save the world.”
Well my gardener is pushing his rather noisy mower back and forth across my front lawn and it’s disrupting my thoughts. Maybe I’ll go for a ride in my gas guzzler pickup to buy some petroleum based products.

1 comment:

  1. This is a comment from an avid recycler. It's easy. I have a box it all goes into and then I cart it to a big blue thing close to our house and I'm done. My sister actually gasped once when I tossed a newspaper into the trash, but I only did it because I didn't want to spend time away from the visit doing the above things. She does the rest of my share and yours too. The world will go on and we will be OK. Really.

    ReplyDelete