Monday, June 14, 2010

Faceless Book

My FaceBook days are once again behind me. Hopefully this time for good. It has very little to do with any privacy issues but more to do with my expectations. Or maybe I’m just one of those grumpy old men that can’t abide foolishness. In others.
The lure of FaceBook is appealing. Staying connected to friends and family. It’s free and relatively easy to use. But those two facets cut both ways. It’s what makes it hugely popular and at times a pain the neck. Reading about other people’s lives can be educational if not entertaining. But hearing other people’s political and religious opinions can be at the very least tedious. And a monumental waste of time. It brings to mind my philosophy about opinions. Someone’s attempt at changing my opinion is usually about as successful as me changing theirs.
The use of FaceBook as a forum for expressing opinions was not something I anticipated. Or welcomed. I looked forward to hearing about the weather in different parts of the state and country or even the world. Even hearing about children and grandchildren or even pets was nice. Or how about a vacation, a weekend getaway? Yeah, bring it on. Lousy day at work? Go ahead, cry on my electronic shoulder. I can take it. But I just don’t think FaceBook is the place to solve the world’s problems.
I even abided those silly games like The Farm (or whatever it’s called), or Mafia Wars or, well you know what I’m talking about. At least those were usually just one line items easily ignored, unlike the rants about government and politicians. Jeez, take it to the ballot box. And judging by the latest election, it’s probably something that most FB users don’t do. It is after all, much easier to sit on our butts typing than it is studying the issues and voting. But do you think that we can solve the world’s problems by venting our opinions on FaceBook? Really?
Back in the 60’s I learned through during my protesting days that the petition was the least effective tool in changing the status quo. What a petition represented was the zeal and effort of the person gathering signatures. It showed that one person went through the exercise to contact others and gather signatures. Those signing simply did just that. Nothing else required. Not sure if that still holds true today, but judging from the actions or inactions of politicians today, I think today’s electronic petitions are even less valuable. To begin with, how do you verify the validity of electronic signatures? So requests to join others in protest or support via emails and websites and FB pages might be pretty damn silly. Plus it was one more thing that bugged me.
Yeah, yeah, I know there’s a way to block, hide or otherwise keep people off my page. Pretty simple stuff, I’m told. But why have them as friends if I have to block them? I enjoy hearing about their ups and downs and sharing laughs. Even the occasional witty barb directed at politicians can be enjoyed. Occasionally.
So it’s no big deal. I’ve disabled my FaceBook account. Picked up my marbles and gone home. Partly petulant, partly disgusted, largely disappointed. But mostly just a grumpy old man.

2 comments:

  1. Well, that's too bad. I never put anything remotely political on my Facebook page, nor do I read anything like that of anyone else's. I'm simply not interested in reading their opinions about stuff like that. Might sound rude, but it's true. If someone plays too many Farmville or other silly games (if that's what you call them - don't know, never cared enough to find out!), then I do hide them. And if they get on my nerves with too much "you should join this group" nonsense, I ignore them. But I won't ever give it up, because what I love it for is things like getting to watch a video of my sweet little baby grand-niece ( whom I have only seen once in person) babble-baby-talking to her sweet mom. Since I can't see them often in person, it's the next best thing to being there! And another friend's Hawaiian family vacation photos posted while they are still there - things like that make it worth all of the other BS to me. But I certainly DO understand your point, Jose!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It does sound like Heidi Ann puts face book to good use. For me, it has been a mixed bag. There was one unfortunate inciden (you know what I mean), a bunch of stupid games, but through it all, I have been able to keep in touch with family. You have been one of the few friends that use facebook, and now you're gone!

    ReplyDelete