Wednesday, June 2, 2010

My Day

As days go, today was not a good one. Not a bad one, but just not a good one. Started off feeling a little out of sorts and went downhill from there.
Had a job at 8AM and on the way, stopped from some coffee at the community center where I live. Thought I might run into someone to help pull me out of my funk. Walked out with a cup of coffee and my mood not much better than when I walked in. Did have some small talk with the receptionist, she’s getting married soon. Real soon. Wished her well. Couldn’t help but notice the optimism in her eyes and comments. Ah, youth. Then realized I had forgotten my cell phone. Yeah, that’s more in tune with the mood of the day.
Went back home, got my cell and off to my job. It went OK except that I had forgotten my wire cutters. But Gwen, my customer, was nice as usual and I enjoy her sardonic wit. Finished the work in time for a call from another neighbor with another job. Really wanted to go home and mope, but duty calls.
The job went smoothly. She has a small dog, well actually two, but one is a Jack Russell Terrier. Jeez, you can’t look at that dog without smiling. Running and barking. Jumping up on the recliner and to the top of the back of the chair. Reaching out, begging for attention. Who can resist that stuff? Certainly not me. Had to go over and talk that “baby dog talk” while petting and rubbing.
Went to the bank and then to Starbucks. Yikes. I go more often than I care to admit, but I needed something sweet to get my blood sugar out of the homicidal range. Looked like it might be crowded inside and I didn’t feel like sitting alone so drove into the drive thru. I was the third car in line. Should be a piece of cake getting my sugar fix. Or so I thought.
I sat as patiently as possible for what seemed like an hour and a half waiting for the car already at the window to get their order and get the hell out of the way. I actually thought that maybe he was on a run from the office. You know, twenty different orders, twenty different ring ups on the register, twenty different envelopes with money. I was wrong about that too. He got his one drink and off he went. The driver ahead drove up to the window. Won’t be long now.
I had been lucky with the first driver but then it became apparent that maybe the driver in front of me was the one with the twenty orders. As they finally got their one drink, I realized once again I was so wrong. So what the hell was going on inside? Sorry I asked. But that’s the problem with drive thru’s; once you’re in, there’s no getting out.
When it was finally my turn, the young man with long unkempt, unruly and seemingly unwashed hair pulled back in a futile attempt at a pony tail asked me what I had ordered. Deep breath. Serenity now. I repeated my order and off he went. Back he came with my scone and coffee. As he was ringing up my total, he was talking into his Madonna headset. But not to another drive thru customer. He was talking to some unseen coworker. I handed him my Starbucks gift card. He ran it through, handed me my order and then my receipt and card. Without missing a beat with his conversation. But more important to me, anyway, without a word of thanks.
Fortunately that level of service is very unusual at Starbucks. Fortunately I was able to control my outrage. Another deep breath and instead of saying something, I drove off. It actually a good thing for both of us. After a few more errands, I got home to my own hounds. They’re always happy to see me, even if it’s just for the treats they get whenever I come home.
Stayed home for the rest of the day, doing crosswords and reading. Took a snooze on the sofa with my hounds. I only do it for them. Well, maybe I get something out it as well. Sure gave me a new outlook for the rest of the afternoon. Tomorrow is another day. Maybe there will be someone different at the drive thru at Starbucks. Someone that embraces the corporate attitude of excellent customer service. Here’s hoping.

2 comments:

  1. Oooohh - I hope so, too! Because I would totally have been seething inside. For some reason I get VERY angry about poor customer service, and I literally want to scream. I was a waitress for 20 years, and a mail carrier for 11, and I was good at both- and knew how to treat my customers well. I honestly feel that workers who treat - or shall I say mistreat? - their customers like that don't deserve to have their job. At all. Period.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jose,
    You are so good. I don't do well at drive up windows or salad bars. Last drive up experience was at on a summer day at a drive up window at Wallgreens Pharmacy. These places keep you prisoner once you are in line, you can't leave because of pesky curbs or fences or whatever. And Walgreens was very slow. So I sweltered my way up to the front. The driver ahead of me evidently vented all over the pharmacy tech-as I drove up she burst into tears and left the window. I don't think I look that unnerving-or maybe I do. But I never went back....got well without whatever drug I was after. Thanks, Jose

    ReplyDelete